Bless God for His Benefits
Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits: who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases; who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies; who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle’s. KJV
David, there, is speaking to his own soul. In effect, he’s saying to his soul, “Don’t be sluggish, don’t be unthankful, don’t be unresponsive. Bless the Lord for all His benefits,” and then he lists in succession six specific benefits.
- Number one, the Lord forgiveth all thine iniquities.
- Number two, He healeth all thy diseases.
- Number three, He redeemeth thy life from destruction.
- Number four, He crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies.
- Number five, He satisfieth thy mouth with good things
- Number six, so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle’s.
Surely if we understand these six unchanging benefits and mercies of the Lord, then we need to do as David did to his own soul. We need to say to our soul, “Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me bless His holy name.” If we don’t do that, it’s surely evidence that we’re forgetting His benefits. One good way never to forget those benefits is to stir up our soul and bless the Lord at all times.